September to September: A year towards awesomeness
I've decided
to stop dating for a year. I am removing myself from the pool of
available women and sitting on the sidelines for a bit. Don’t worry,
I’ll be back next September! You are probably wondering what brought me
to these desperate actions. Let me explain.
It all started a
few weeks ago towards the end of August. It was a Friday night and
instead of going out and about on the town, I opted for a quiet night
in. My preferred online dating site had sent me an e-mail letting me
know that I had new matches. I was going through the matches and one of
them stood out as someone who would be a good personality fit for me.
He had a link on his page that he said he agreed with. I was curious.
What did he agree with? Was it political commentary? Religious
doctrine? Spam? I was a bit hesitant, but I clicked the link. It took
me to a series of sermons from a church in Atlanta. The topic was Love,
Sex, and Dating. I clicked play. I figured I’d check it out and if it
was blasphemous or stupid I’d just turn it off and go back to searching
for eligible bachelors online.
It was good. It was really
good. So good in fact that after the first sermon ended I immediately
clicked play on the second one. That’s where he issued the challenge.
Take a year off from dating and work on getting your life in order. I
needed this. I feel like my life has been a mess lately with me barely
able to keep my head above water in so many areas. I like challenges
and I’m ready to make some changes. Plus, in all honesty, my love life
has been pretty non-existent as of late. I don't currently have guys
knocking down my door trying to date me so who knows, maybe this will
help!
There are 5 key areas that I want to focus on this year:
spiritual, health/weight loss, financial management/debt reduction, time
management, and long term career direction.
Spiritual – If I
claim that I love God, shouldn’t more areas of my life reflect it? On
top of that, Cornerstone is starting a series on Romans in a few weeks!
My friend laughed at me because I squealed when I found out. Romans is
my favorite book in the Bible. It is straight up awesomeness and I’m
so excited to go through it in church. At times straightforward and
clear, other times convoluted and confusing, the language, syntax, and
structure of Romans makes it fun to read, however, the content makes it
life changing. Yeah, I’m excited!
Health/weight loss – I need
to work on my health. Both sides of my family have a history of health
problems, so I might as well make sure I’m healthy. The last thing I
need is for the rest of my life to be going along swimmingly and to be
blindsided with health issues. I’m not going to go on some crazy weight
loss plan. I’m sure I’ll lose some weight in my quest towards better
health, but the goal is to be healthy on the inside, not necessarily
thin on the outside.
Financial management/debt reduction – This is pretty much self explanatory.
Time
Management – Eek! This is the big scary one. This is not my forte
(clearly… since it is something I’m working on) but it has always been a
challenge. I get easily sidetracked by eternal distractions, but the
real fun is in my head. Those who know me best know my penchant for
silly stories and elaborate scenarios I dream in my head. On a daily
basis I meet politicians and celebrities, find Mr. Right, start
companies, and broker world peace. I’m almost never bored because I
have a vivid imagination. Some might call it an overactive imagination
and they’re probably right. So I’m going to work on that.
Long
term career direction – I love my job but I can’t be a front desk
supervisor forever. (See health and debt reduction notes above.) I need
to be proactive in taking the next steps. I don’t know what those
steps are so that’s what I’m working on figuring out. That and how to
end a sentence with something other than a preposition.
So yeah,
I’m super excited about this year. I know that even if I’m single
three, five, ten years from now, I will still have improved myself. That
alone will make the year worth it!
FAQs
Q: What
happens if in two months from now you meet Mr. Right? Are you really
going to make him wait until next September to date you?
A: Yep! If
he really is Mr. Right he’ll be around next September. One quality
necessary for a relationship with me is patience. I need someone
patient enough to deal with my weirdness. If he can wait until
September, he is off to a good start!
Q: You already are awesome! Why are you doing this?
A: Aww, thank you! I appreciate that. Now stop flirting, it isn’t going to get you anywhere until next September.
Q: Why can't you date and still work on improving yourself?
A:
This is something I really need to focus on. I've always been the boy
crazy type so this is a good way to remove some distractions. Plus,
restricting myself from dating adds some pressure so that I don't
actually waste this year.
Q: You are Thirty. Your mom (and dad) want grandkids! Why push that back a year? You're not getting any younger!
A:
Actually, I'm thirty and a half. I celebrated my half birthday last
week! I'm not too worried about getting older and you shouldn't be
either. One of my favorite spoken word poems has this line: "I will no
longer get weighted down by so called friends and family talks about the
concern for my biological clock when I serve the author of time."
Besides, as much as I want the experience of being pregnant and giving
birth, I really want to adopt. I'll be ok if I never give birth to any
kids; there are still plenty out there who need love! http://goo.gl/sfJ76
Q: Why a year? Why not 6 months?
A: Did you not read the list
of things I want to improve? If you think 6 months is going to get me
anywhere near resolved on some of those issues, you must have me
confused with Superwoman.
Q: Do you have the link to the sermons? I want to check them out.
A: I thought you’d never ask. http://goo.gl/Oaiyz
Q: I’ve been gathering up the courage to ask you out and now you do this to me. Why?
A: I’m simply giving you more time to gather up that courage. Plus I’ll be that much more awesome come next September.
Q:
You’re an entertaining writer and I see what you mean about that
overactive imagination! Why haven’t you written a book yet?
A: My life’s a mess and you want me to write a book? Ha! Let me get through this year and we’ll see what happens next.
Q. You’re weird.
A. I know. :-)
Final
thoughts. If you read this far you must either be really bored or you
care about what I have to say. If it is the latter I’m giving you full
permission to check in with me periodically throughout this year. You
can give me encouragement (always appreciated) and you can call me out
on areas I need additional help. I may be mad at you for a bit, but if
it is out of love, I’ll forgive you quickly. Thanks for joining me in
this adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment