Ephesians 6:10-13
Finally, be strong in
the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on
the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s
schemes. For our struggle is not against
flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the
powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the
heavenly realms. Therefore put on the
full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand
your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. New International Version (NIV)
I like Ephesians. It
isn’t as awesome as Romans (in my biased opinion) but it is still really
good. We recently went through Ephesians
at church and the sermon on this passage stuck out.* I’ve heard this passage numerous times
before, but the thing that struck me most in this sermon was the last phrase: and after you have done everything, to stand. This has been one of my guiding phrases since
I heard that sermon. We like to think
that we’ll always be victorious. We have
God on our side so clearly life will be a breeze. Any little thing that comes our way, we’ll
just tell God and He’ll smite it, right?
I’ve been beaten up and bruised, kicked, throw around, and left to die
(metaphorically speaking) by some of the crap I’ve had thrown my way. It hasn’t been pretty and I haven’t come out
unscathed, but with Christ on my side, I have been able to stand.
Do you watch rugby? I
don’t, but I’ve seen enough clips of it to use it as an example. You know how when one team charges at the
other team? The second team digs in,
shoulders down, knees bent, leaning forward.
They refuse to give up any ground.
That is how it is. You are going
to get beat up and bloodied, but in the end, only by the grace of God, you
stand.
That’s how I’m feeling right now. I’m standing, but only by God’s grace.** When I embarked on this challenge, I knew it
would be just that, a challenge. I was
totally unprepared though for how I feel under attack. I honestly thought that it would be a
struggle against my own flesh and blood.
I didn’t think that there would be psychological or spiritual
ramifications. Why is it that everything
is going well, and then the second I post publicly about my goals, life starts
hurling crap at me? Maybe it is the
spiritual forces of evil deciding that a new and improved Bethany is dangerous
to them. That worries me. I should already be dangerous.
The last 2 days have been tough. Work has been emotionally draining, which
makes it easier for me to make poor decisions, particularly with regards to
financial and time management and diet.
It ain’t easy, I’ll tell you that.
Fortunately though, I don’t necessarily need to dominate, I simply need
to stand.
*To watch the sermon go to www.cornerstonelife.com and click the
link for media player. Scroll down to
the series titled Blatant Church (towards the bottom) and click either watch or
listen. Paul Sabino was the teacher for
that message and he was my favorite teaching pastor before he left to go to one
of our partner churches in West Des Moines.
**This reminds me of an Israel Houghton song. You should check it out... and dance. Definitely crank the music up and dance in the privacy of your room! Israel Houghton - Still Standing
No comments:
Post a Comment